Thursday 20 March 2014

UV mapping and Texturing

Texturing was a great experience this time around I was able to do it to a pretty fast degree and was quite effective in the technical aspects of saving time and using UV maps to the best of their abilities such as - 

Stretching UV's

I also made sure to use the correct mapping when i needed to, automatic mapping for the stone steps for example and then selecting the UV shells and stretching them out to fit more of the texture and resolution in in photoshop. 
before
after
after stretching

I also mixed things up to get a more realistic feel instead of everything being too repetitive.
Little details do matter and i found that taking the time to simply create more than one texture for the wooden chairs and the stone walls etc worked very well in making the tone of the piece that bit different throughout the level. I did this from gathering research from games i had played and were looking at. 
Overall i think I did this well as you can see the change in textures below this may be a small thing but as a whole it really benefits the scene.

Here are some research images from Skyrim which show the inside of a house. This clearly shows how different textures are used in a non repetitive way to capture the imagination of the character and draw them into the environment. 


Experimenting with medieval textile patterns and furniture.
I also did a lot of tests for stretching worked out what would look best and also experimenting with different textures that i had done primary research on such as the medieval style of furniture and textile patterns. As you can see below i brought this to life mixing up different patterns but keeping true to the same style and tone i was looking to achieve in the piece. 

Testing UV maps and textures themselves


Looked horrible! Test that went wrong, good job i did it. 



I had a lot of fun texturing using photoshop to create some of them and to in hanse some of them also. I find that i get much better each time around UV mapping and texturing I will definitely be focusing on this when I leave uni.


I think the overall feel to the tower texture was spot on, It kept medieval but at the same time looked like something out of a bedtime story, I made sure to pick a stone and wood texture that went nicely with this texture too always things about the previous research i had done and the primary research I had collected from actual castles and medieval times. 




I was impressed by my doors too next time I will try experimenting with bump maps and other things to create a more professional look and use these skills to practise for the industry.


One more little detail i wanted to add was books, i know that if i play a game and all the books would look the same and be the same colour it would distract attention and i would think it looked lazy and fake, so i took the time to UV map four/ five different books sizes and models and textured them with different designs, i then used my research of scenography and level design to think where i wanted them placed in the book self within the scene. I was really happy with what i turned out with modelling and texture wise for this project. 


Cool Tip i learnt - Unity Texturing - didn't know you could drag and drop it on as simple as that!
Pretty cool right? 



I also paid attention to detail in the story and found medieval images of a woman who looked the same and a man who fit the description, these played a great role in telling the story and they really fit the part I am happy will the out come and how the player will perceive these characters. 






Really happy with the turn out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment