Thursday 20 March 2014

Concept Art and Colour Research

I struggle very much with concept art as i seriously cannot draw, i don't know why but i find it much easier to model something from my mind than i do an image but i understand that this is a development process to show so i did the best i could by designing this storyboard/ concept art of my level and the scenes the poem would take you down. I will later turn this into an animatic so i can get a better idea of timing for sound and scripting.
Not being a concept artist myself i tried to get around the development process of showing how my story would unfold so through the advice of my tutor i found a way to incorporate concept art into my work. I did some Mini concept art as i find the hardest thing for me is perspective and if it's a smaller concept then i can handle it and draw it much better (even thought it still looks rubbish) So i combined a kind of storyboard feel mixed with mini concept art to produce something that would portray not only concept art which would visually be used to develop my 3D environment but also the storyline which should the scripting and progression of the narration.

Please excuse the horrible drawings :/


Experimenting with colour and understanding it.

I also experimented with colour later on in my scene to try and get a better understanding of what would fit, i thought long and hard about changing the level into a night time scene so that my candles could be put to more use in a dark environment then i could add a tactile effect of a torch, but from this i thought that it would mimic what i had done in my dissertation too much and i wanted to try something knew so i kept the scene in the day time. 
I also thought that the light would bring out the textures more.


I liked the effect these gave for possible a very visual based game all in colour or different tones of absolute colour, this has given me many ideas for game design in the future and different projects i could create and imagine. However for this project I decided to work with colours that complimented each other well but also kept true to the style, tone and time of the scene. So i went for a colour scheme of greys and browns but also keeping to a medieval stylised tone, i made sure to use colours that were in that era and the type of surface pattern that you would see in that day and age. I think it worked well for what i picked and this will show in my final piece. 



Understanding Colour.
Here's how i got a better understanding of colour it was a really helpful video that went into detail what not to do and how to utilise colour to make an object the centre of the room, for example i used this reference in my treasure room placing the bow in the middle on the table and making sure that the candles gave off a big welcoming orange glow. Without watching this video i wouldn't have thought to have done that. 

Here is the link to the full video if you would like to watch it - 



See how colour can change everything so easily?

No comments:

Post a Comment