Monday 31 March 2014

- Autodesk "Live it. Sketch it. Share it." Design competition & Exhibiting my work

Competition
Here is the link to the website - http://sketchbook.autodeskcompetitions.com/

One of the competitions i entered into was something a little different, instead of it being 3D based it was 2D which is something i want to explore more, it was also using an app which is a medium i don't really experiment with that much, knowing these things i wanted to step out of my comfort zone a little bit and see what i could create to be judged and hopefully gain some good feedback.

I kept my drawing linking into my work by creating my logo/ brand Lowrybear.
I decided to make it comical by incorporating in a comic strip of Lowrybear fighting humans, humans fighting Lowrybear and then then both giving up and sitting down to play xbox.
My influences were from Ice age when you see the scene of them fighting

Sorry about the quality of the video there wasn't a proper link only recorded ones from peoples TV's

So here is my final piece to enter-




I enjoyed entering this competitions even though it was only a small one it still gave me a nice boost of confidence and entering something into a competitions will give me good feedback back hopefully. 
I decided to go with something simple and quirky as thats what i like to look at,
I'm sure i will learn a lot on my ideas from this, I also enjoyed stepping out of my comfort zone on this and doing a 2D drawing.
I will be entering many more competitions to come and looking out for ones that will get me noticed or give me good contacts or even work. It's best to enter in them and loose rather than not to enter in them at all. 

Exhibiting my work
I have also recently looked into exhibiting my work at indie game events, I attended an event about a year ago called Game City Nights in Leeds and it would be perfect for me right now, the games were put on to show and you could talk about hem on stage to other developers for a short amount of time. Unfortunately for some reason this event no longer happens however i have been informed that it may be returning so fingers crossed as this was a good event for me that got me a fantastic contact who has helped me out and collaborated with me a few times now. So what I have been doing also is looking at others small festival to send my work off too, GameCity Nottingham, Games Republic to name a few.
I will also be looking into getting a professional space to work in for three months for free with the college, I know from last years third years that some did this and enjoyed the freedom and it helped them to push them and get more involved in alumni projects and competitions and exhibitions that could get them promoted and even opportunities for work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment