Thursday 20 March 2014

Let the modelling begin.

So i started off modelling by keeping true to my scale tests and my floor plans i had created previously, i had done a lot of development work to get a good understanding of the layout and get as much out of my head as i possibly good before bringing my idea to life. I started with the easy stuff laying out the separate rooms and then working on things such as doors and windows. I then moved on to the big props that would dominate the rooms such as the chandeliers. 
I think here i did a really good job on staying on target on my statement of intent keeping true to my idea and showing the research and development stages well. 


Window problem solved.
I used booleons this time to create the doors and windows last project i did in a group i could not figure out how to make a window without merging every single vertices and face together! it took a long long time, but my skills have grown since then and i have learned to use booleons well. 









As you can see i slowly constructed my scene keeping the style and tone of the medieval scene alive, i payed close attention to my floor plans and research mapping out where things went before making them via my scale test and quickly here by making cube planes. 

Props
For my props i wanted some really good stuff so i took my time on a few of them especially the bookcase i wanted to add little details that mattered to the story such as the ladder, it created realism for the story because the bookcase was too high and me thinking about the tiny things like that brought the scene more to life i think. I really enjoyed making the bookshelf and thinking about how the books would be positioned in real life and other video games like skyrim that i had scene. 

My bookcase

Bookcase from Skyrim

Here are some more props i made






Adding an architectural feel to the castle with ceiling beams, wall beams, arch ways, stone ceiling panels and stone/wooden walls. 
I also drew inspiration from the pictures you se below i wanted to create something more than just straight flat walls, something that had character and style to it like the castles from york or the kind you see in stories and fairytales because thats what this is a story.
Work i drew inspiration from- 



My work- 



Here is the chandelier in its earlier for i took inspiration from skyrim on this and i really like how it turned out in the end with the details of the chains and things i added.


Matt tried to help by sharing something he had made but it was way too many polly's so i gave it a lot of thought and considered how i would construct it after a few attempts I realised that I could easily build a mirrored arch way like fence using the bridge option tool.
This turned out to be a fantastic solution that didn't use a high poly count and saved me a lot of time, it also looked pretty cool and was how i imagined it.



I experimented with loft options for the curtains and used some tools i hadn't before so it was exciting to see what i could do and the finished result was an awesome curtain :) 
It was surprisingly easy and very rewarding. I also added small details such as the curtain holder to make it much more realistic, i think I will add a felt texture to them as medieval places normally have a lot of red in them, it will match the colour scheme of the browns and greys too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment