Thursday 20 March 2014

Transfer to Unity, Problems I faced and Creating Terrain/ a realistic look to the environment

I had to build terrain under castle at the correct height as everything was bumpy in points because the box colliders were not working properly. This was due to me not creating box colliders correctly which Tim informed me of, i thought that you had to insert a cube as a box collider and move them all around which is what i did in my last project, i completely forgot about mesh collider and adding a box colliders to the object itself, this saved me a lot of time.







Terrain.
Building the terrain proved difficult in parts as it started to come through and into my scene which i did not want, i spent a lot of time wasted on this as like i said before i forgot about mesh colliders so i spent a lot of time trying to get the terrain perfect. When i went to test this though and also people tested it on final crit day there were a lot of bumps going up and down and the floor looked flat so in the game there was no explanation for this which effected the realism of the game. However, I knew that the problem was the terrain set at different levels under the floor boards because it was really hard to see what i was doing with the terrain when the building was on top of it. I solved this problem when Tim told me about mesh colliders this easily fixed how the player walked and getting caught on things/ bumps on the floor disappeared because the mesh was now in place which was a flat surface - the floor. 


Here are some screenshot of the finished terrain I adding in trees, water, hill textures and sand to create a more realistic feel to the level. 


I wanted to try and capture something that showed I had thought long and hard about the environment I was creating such as adding small details like pebbles in the river, I made sure I referenced back to my Primary and secondary research. 
Talking into consideration how things are placed in a natural environment such as my visit to Ingleton-  

talk about these here....


And my moodboards i had collected of mountain ranges I didn't want to go too over board with it.

I also had a long look at open world games such as Skyrim, Two worlds and LOTR war in the north.

Skyrim



Two worlds


LOTR war in the north


 I think I did a pretty good job - 




Adding Colliders to everything. 







Reverse Normals Issue.
The first Import went really quite wrong. 
A very big problem i came across was that my walls were completely see through on the outside because in Maya i had reversed the normals so that you could walk inside, when i was modelling i didn't think that much of this and thought i could fix it easily or cover up the outside with image planes of the castle. Luckily It was an easy fix I had the idea to go back into Maya quickly and extrude the faces of the buildings. It was really simple, literally one click, I was very relieved by this and it saved me a lot of time. however i have learned from this and next time i will completely plan out fully what I will be modelling and go through and think of everything before I start.


As you can see from the inside it seemed like there was nothing wrong but step outside and you could see everything like you had X-ray glasses on. 




The second was much better

INPUT NEW UNITY TRANSFER AFTER MAKING CHANGES TALK ABOUT IT. 

Staircase troubles. 
I had some real trouble with the staircase as well, my first person controller literally would not climb the stairs even when jumping. So first of i tried to solve this problem by making a box collider ramp with image planes, this didn't work. 



So next I moved on to thinking of creating a ramp in maya I began to do this but then it occurred to me that maybe it wasn't anything to do with the ramp or stairs it was to do with the physics on Unity. As unity is a game engine and has rules to it such as gravity, jump height etc. I started to look around on the internet for tutorials and help as to why my player couldn't climb up something. 
I found the answer I was looking for. 
It was a really simple fix which saved me a lot of time and was a very nice surprise.
It was all to do with the slope limit and the step offset. 
These too control how high a player can step up onto something and how much of an angle they can walk up. Changing these to a higher value allowed my player to walk up my very steep steps, it also then allowed the player to be able to climb over the fence so i messed around with the numbers again testing what the player could climb over until i got the correct number. 

First Person Controller Issues.
A big problem I faced was the first person controller it slid around like Ice and was really hard to control but at the moment I haven't got time to fix this so I will come back to it as I will think what I can do to it whilst doing other things. 
I'm pretty sure it will be an easy fix with the first person controller settings so I will find some tutorials online and also test myself what works best for the level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment