Tuesday 13 May 2014

Mudbox Testing

Experimenting with Mudbox
Matt told me to give it a go testing new software so i did but my god it is confusing and hard! 
I have a digital tutors account so it was nice to be able to get lessons not just from the internet on YouTube but also from professionals who know what they are talking about and who do this for a living. Its pretty valuable information. 


Digital tutors-
I found a whole load of helpful tutorials on digital tutors, i am so glad i have this asset at my disposal it has really helped me in this project!


So i started by experimenting with a few tree stumps in mudbox using the paint and sculpt tool to morph the look of the stump. As you can see it really makes a difference on the feel of the texture the one on the left looks really flat and boring and then with a few tweaks you can change it into something that looks weathered and old, something that fits into the story with history and more depth to it. 

before                                                                        after




I also experimented with this for blood on the floor in the poem I found that it would look pretty darn cool however I came to realise that having one mudboxed thing would stand out too much in the scene and it would be super shiny blood on the floor.
So i decided to take this out of my scene and keep the style and tone the same. Having one things that sticks out like a sore thumb is not a good idea and it will distract the players attention probably making them think its an object of great interest when in fact it is just as important as everything else in the scene. 
I'm really glad I had a play around with mudbox and this is something i am going to revisit in the future, its good practise to experiment with new software you can use and it helped me to think more clearly on what i was looking to achieve as a whole look wis in my scene, which this time mudbox couldn't help me with, maybe next time. 








No comments:

Post a Comment