Wednesday 14 May 2014

Finding a Narrator - Overcoming Obstacles & Recording.

So, to begin with I originally found a sound designer called Andy who I asked to do the narration for me. Unfortunately as our conversation went on it was apparent that we wouldn't be able to work together as they were really busy. I also got the feeling from our conversation that if i didn't send them something super perfect they would try and charge me for the narration. This being the case I had already spent me budget of £50 for FMP on travelling for Primary research. So i had to take a step back and think more logically about this. 
So because of their busy schedules and that I couldn't show them a finished project just yet I decided to ask Luca to help me instead for free.



Luca to the rescue!

So Luca was great and saved me, his voice fit very well into the poem as I knew from my research and preference I wanted a mans voice narrating the poem, it just fit the scene and flowed much more.
I previously recorded my voice on audacity at home as an absolute last resort but thank god i didn't have to use it, I can narrate poetry quite well but it's a little too embarrassing for me to share it with the world. 


So we booked out the sound booth for about two hours and got down to work, I went through the poem adding in commas where I wanted him to phase for longer and Luca suggested a very good idea of recording it in parts, that way it would make it much more easier for me to edit it afterwards and it would give him a break and get each verse down better.
I also labelled them which made this much easier to keep track of through to final cut pro and then though to unity itself.
It worked out very well and we did quite a few takes of each segment, I spoke to Luca asking him to pronounce the words slower and posher so that the flow of the poem sounded much more medieval. 
All in all it was a very successful recording and I was pleased with the over all result, going into the sound booths gave my poem a much more professional feel as you couldn't hear any background noise at all which was essential because then the character could focus fully on the narration and the background music being played.




Here is the finished narration an animatic of what you will see and hear.


Here is also a hilarious version for you to enjoy of Luca being hedonism bot from Futurama 

No comments:

Post a Comment