Wednesday 14 May 2014

Bethesda - and how they do it

Bethesda are a company that speaks to me inspirational wise on a completely different scale. Morrowind is basically the game i grew up on and its my favourite game of all time, with its immerse story driven game play, from the background in which the characters have a deeper level of story, you get dragged into their world. 
Their landscapes are just beautiful especially for the time in which Morrowind was realised (2001)
Bethesda were able to create something which was truly beautiful and immersive with fantastic textures, lighting and characters.
The over all environment of their work influences me everyday and i found myself looking at the elder scroll series a lot for inspiration as I was producing a medieval game and the types of style and textures of Morrowind are that type of style. Nordic/ medieval/ castles etc.

So i looked into a few things and found some great research (as well as playing on the game!) :)
This video below of the making of sound in skyrim really shows how much time and effort they put into their projects to fuel the narrative and storyline. 
From this I am going to focus a lot on my narrative and have my poem read in a way that invokes feeling and emotion. 
The elder scrolls series also have a fantastic soundtrack, 
obviously I'm no Jeremy Soule and i cannot create something like this unfortunately
(I should be so lucky)
Here is the video if you would like to take an interesting look into sound

The making of sound in Skyrim

The making of Skyrim
I also found these two great looks at how the games are made and what goes into them which makes them so great. 
It's pretty much anything that makes anything great, which is time, effort and passion.
These things are something I will put into this level and I think that I can pull it off in the end, we will see.
My time management sheet says I will...

The making of Oblivion 

Interview with Todd Howard.
Here's an interesting read through as well
An Interview with Todd Howard, he is like the main guy for Bethesda he's a dedicated individual and a well respected person of the industry, he knows what he's doing and has some great ideas and passion for the elder scrolls series. 
Check it out- 
talk about it

No comments:

Post a Comment