Sunday 20 October 2013

New Year... Last year! - COP3 Briefing -

So we have been briefed for our final year the first and only thing to focus on is COP3. We have to write our 'extended essays' of 6,000- 9,000 words. Along side this must be a practical that supports and shows that we understand what we have written about. So for example writing about archetypes, a correct synthesis for the practical would be to design and model a character and give it a backstory of an archetype.
I've had a little think and so far I'm probably going to do something on environments and level design as it's the route i enjoy most and want to go down. We have been given a proposal form to write out as this is our third year we are in charge of what we do and what we write about.

So I started by looking around at environments and thinking about what i could write about and what i could link to things. I have no idea why but one of the first things i thought about was scary games/ films and that's strange because i never play or watch them because i can't stand them. I think i wanted to get out of my comfort zone and try something new so i started to look around at environments/ characters and everything horror related to find that even though the images freaked me out i wanted to figure out why they freaked me out and by doing so maybe i could get better with these images?

Here's some of the images i found that interested me-


Fallout was an obvious choice to look at for environments but fallout has quite a dark side to it too. Filling with mutilated bodies hanging from ceilings and people getting their entire being blown to smithereens.



Another obvious one i looked at was Silent Hill the spooky tight corridors and the way you only have a flashlight as a light source is really creepy.


A nice play on perspective here, makes you feel like your closed in, tight.



I found something interesting to look at how game developers use in game 'real world' items to make the experience that bit more real.




Just two more spooky settings. I definitely know I'm doing something horror related.



No comments:

Post a Comment