Tuesday 22 October 2013

Synthesis crit - Presentation and my thoughts on it.

My Synthesis crit was focused on Video Games and Horror and looking mostly at research i had done into what we fear and trying to understand why we fear it. At this point in the module i thought i was going to be focusing on environments in horror film and games however the crit made me realise that this specific topic would be hard to write about as i would keep loosing the subject matter for example fear is not just about the environment its about everything from Sound, lighting, suspense etc. So i may as well have used a much better title which kept focus to the essay and explored more topics within the subject matter this also meant that i could expand my ideas on the practical -

I included in my presentation mood boards i had compiled looking at fear as a whole and environments,
I researched games that i was going to play and included these in the presentation to show my research process, i also talked about what I liked in the games and what i noticed was effective to create a horror level -


I also looked into practitioners of film and the techniques they used to get the desire effect of horror in them, the techniques they used, i found that Hitchcock in Psycho focused on suspense the most but he did this by utilising sound and long pauses, it was interesting to watch and i learned a lot, i also talked about looking into fear as I've discovered you can't really create a horror game or film with out first experiencing horror and gaining a level of understanding on it.



- The crit helped me to sum up what i needed to do which was focus on a topic and pick a title (as i kept changing my idea all the time which isn't good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment