Tuesday 22 October 2013

Practical Idea's and Mood Boards

From planning i realised that doing such a small game level wasn't enough and it didn't really show anything that synthesised, it was just a game level, it had no research in it from things i had actually learned from watching films or playing games or books, so i started again and planned out my idea much more carefully my though was to create a game level that represents different types of fear and effects in the game level to show how to invoke fear in a video game also. I started with one of the biggest ones child hood fears from this i planned out a child's bedroom and incorporated 'creepy' things in, i used a victorian style as victorian houses are seen as spooky and used a lot in film this way such as The Woman In Black -


I leanred from research and my dissertation to use dim lighting in horror to keep the viewers always looking in the shadows waiting for something to pop out. 


See above in The Woman In Black he explores a young boys victorian bedroom i remember watching this scene and there is always something disturbing about little children being dead or ghosts or there sounds of giggles, children's room and themselves work very well in horror so i worked on the layout of my children's room and thought of assets i could create. 

I started to research more images of victorian environments, here's a mood board i created which sparked up some more idea's -


I've picked up a few things i'm going to incorperate in my childs room from this moodboard such as some sort of candle light possibly a torch effect? I will also use a little boys wallpaper to make it look more creepy. The illusion corridor is a good idea too but i knew i was going to do something like this already from my research, i was also reminded of the cabinet of dr. caligari and how he bends walls and shapes of the room this always freaks people out a little and is a good idea to incorperate in such things-



Final Idea

My new final idea is to create a game level in Maya and Unity that synthesis's my dissertation on exploring Fear and how to use and adapt it into film and video games, i will do this by researching a lot into techniques used and then with my knowledge i will portray this research through a 3D environment which shows that i understand fear by invoking it through sound, lighting, timed scripting and atmosphere. I will start by drawing some mock up of floor plans as i want to be organised fro this module. 


No comments:

Post a Comment