Tuesday 22 October 2013

Scale Testing and Testing

From previous experience in the other module I know that a lot of time is wasted in scaling and rescaling game levels and props so this time i decided to avoid all that and be prepared. Before i started modelling anything i used my floor plans to model up a quick 3D mock up of the environment and used it to see how big i needed my game level in maya to be.


I used squares at first changing the size of the first person controller and the squares until i got a resonable fit i liked that wasn't too huge for the maya or unity scene. 


The tests worked well as i was way off base to begin with



I found the perfect size to work with as you can see above ^^^^ the middle cube was about the height of a victorian room and i worked around that using extruded shapes and the merge to centre tool to create a scene that flowed architectural wise.
I had been researching a lot of Victorian environments and how they are built, i didn't have time to put everything in i would have liked too such as floor boards and skirting boards, however i did get to put some stairs in and nice tall ceilings, i have included some images below showing my influences and thought process - 

Tall Ceilings




Winding Stairs



I feel that my stairs fit very well into the scene and were actually quite simple to make i'm quite partial to winding stair cases not sure why however i have noticed in Horror films they always have shots of the stair cases or scenes on the stairs such as running away or running up them such as Hitchcock's Vertigo in 1958 -


My Winding Stairs





See above and below two screenshots showing me measuring the size of the first person controller against the height, width and length of the 3D mock up scene. 


As you can see from the screenshot below that by testing scale before modelling worked out and everything fit when i was putting it into the scene
talk about how Anna said its better to work the other way round maya and unity. 


Transferring to Unity -
Transferring to Unity was much easier than last module as i had much more organization in this one with Scale testing and testing files. I did learn however that I should model props in Maya and then Position them in Unity next time this is much more efficient and faster Annabeth says, it makes sense too and i will be taking this knowledge and using it on my FMP next project. 
If i were to start this project again i think it would have run even smoother had i made the pros first then positioned this way it would have saved time and flowed better. 

Overall testing was a huge success and very good practise i will always make sure i do this first before starting to model my game levels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment