Monday 15 October 2012

Psychoanalysis- Writing Task - Un Chien Andalou -


I was shown this short surrealist film called Un Chien Andalou (n Andalousian Dog) by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali in 1929, it’s really quite strange but intriguing as we watched it I jotted notes down which helped a lot as I did it the first time I saw it which I think helps give my first point of view. I noticed that throughout the film there were several references to show that the man was dominant and 'powerful' I saw this from him smoking a cig to look tuff to why he scraped his thumb to feel powerful. He also slit the women’s eye open which shows domination and control and was really quite disgusting for the time I bet! As the man falls off his bike we get to see a different side of him like the women is taking over the dominant role now, I don't fully understand why she was laying clothes on the bed though, maybe it was to symbolise that his body and mind have left her? As the ants crawl and burrow into the skin i couldn't help but think that this may be symbolising his rotting mind? Or maybe this is what he is actually seeing because he's losing his mind? As it got more and more twisted such as when she was run over and he imagined having sex with a dead body, there was introduced two of things, two pianos two Jewish men. two dead horses. I thought to myself that this may represent the lack of the two people now as he thinks she's been run over, has he lost half of him in her and now is yearning for her back so imagining two things. 
The next part showed the man trying to be womanlier and trying to get rid of womanly things such as throwing the bra out of the window and putting lipstick on, I thought that this could mean that maybe he is turning into a woman or he has been the woman all along? Or possibly it's actually the woman who is mad and turning into a man. I also think why the books turn into guns is because they want to commit suicide and by the end of the film have gained the courage to do it as they are both dead at the end tied in the sand by the moonlight. 

Overall it raised many questions, which I hope I have answered some of them, in this review it fascinates me that this film was discussed in a normal cafĂ© shop where the two exchanged words about dreams, ‘like a razor blade slicing through an eye,’ That guy must have had some messed up dreams, I think it's a great little piece of film for it's time and the camera angles and special effects are inspired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment