Friday 17 January 2014

Primary research - Royal Armouries

I visited the Royal armouries as part of my primary research i went here because there is a lot of medieval things and medieval castles and weapons. I took a lot of reference images from the armouries and will be using them to model with such as the bow picture is fantastic and ideal for what i am going for, the sort of style and tone of old medieval looks really cool.
The trip was very rewarding and I gained some insightful primary research, I made sure to keep the style and tone of the piece avoiding chinese tempting things and world war 2 things (there are a lot of those things in the royal armouries)


I liked the colours in the two photos above it seems that they liked dark blues a lot and reds.

The bow above was a good piece to look at and get inspiration from as I will be modelling a bow from the poem, i want something a bit more simple as its old old times and craft wasn't that far gone. In the poem as well I find that he focuses more on his wealth of gold and silver not his hunting he does that for pleasure so I don't think he would be too bothered about his bow being fancy. 


I may have coats of armour in the grand hall as decorations. 
We will see how it pans out in the long run I am thinking more along the line of chairs as the armour may distract the attention away from the audio of the poem. 


I have given it some thought as to if i will use tactile effects in this piece but I'm not too sure If i would like him to be holding a weapon or a torch this is something to think about more as I start to develop my work. 


LOTR - The Hobbit Swords - Awesome!
They had a really awesome exhibition of the Hobbit swords whilst I visited and i couldn't help take away photos :) 


I really liked the textures of these pieces keeping it stylised as old but true to its design. 




I was very interested in the section that paid a lot of detail into the construction of castles, I wanted something that was believable in the sense of one man could live there but i didn't want something on too big of a scale because he wasn't a King, he was a Lord. 
So i payed great attention to detail here and used these images to influence my ideas of what the castle would look like. 







No comments:

Post a Comment