Wednesday 1 January 2014

My Illusion Corridor and Looking German Expressionism

My illusion corridor was something i got from looking at German Expressionism and also researching into psychological fears, we are mostly afraid of things we don't understand and things that are strange to the eye. Everyone likes a good Illusion trick as they make them think wow how are my eyes doing this? I wanted to incorporate this into my practical as it draws the player into the level.
Here's some of the films i looked at and the images of Illusion i found-

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari  - 1920

This type of style really inflected me and kept me thinking the Illusion should be in black and white


 Metropolis 1927

Tricks of the eye

I was going to bend the corridors but i didn't have enough time and i thought the Illusion worked well on its own, i will definitely try this out in the future, it's an interesting subject to look into is Illusion and fear.


Creating my Illusion Corridor.


Modelling was easy i just used the vertices to make the tunnel get smaller and smaller until the player reaches the end.  


I played around with textures as i thought the first one just didn't work, i changed the Uv snapshot instead of just laying the images flat and used automatic mapping.


The automatic mapping created the texture you see below, i think that it worked perfectly.
Jeff and Tim tested my game level and Tim's response was 'Woah' 
I've also had good feedback from social media which is nice.



Over all i think that my Illusion corridor worked really well and created the effect i was looking for it also came in handy for particles too! (which is explained in the particles blog post)
Lastly I also included a psychological drop working of my research again people don't like falling i wanted to create that sensation whilst playing the game level, it was easy to create as i was organised with scale and timing so all i had to do was model texture it and add scripting and sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment