Thursday 16 May 2013

making it more realistic - particles/ flares/ lighting

So the final touches are here! Need to add my waterfalls and flare. I attempted to do it old school at first and create the waterfall myself with world velocity and max energy etc... but i'm running out of time so i chose to use the built in waterfall in the particles folder.



Annabeth helped with the skybox as a bunch of us just could not remember how to do it but it's so simple! I added a nice day sky to match the water and the feel of the scene. I think it worked pretty well. 


One problem i came across was that unity wasn't registering all the scenery as there was too much of it (2KM) so Anna showed me how to easily solve this problem by increasing the camera clipping planes, this solved the problem straight away :)
One last thing that i had a problem with as well was that the first person controller moved so slowly, this again was due to the terrain being so vast so she showed me a simple fix under character motor which then we changed the max and min speed which sorted that one out too. 

Lastly Anna showed me how to insert a flare to a directional light which just made the scene much more believable and pretty. These simple things have really added to the realism of the scene. 



I did a little tidy up with box colliders so that when your exploring the world you can't walk through objects, this was done really quick and Tim showed me an even faster way then creating empty shapes. Much much quicker way of doing it here - 


Now on to the waterfall!
as i said above i attempted to do it all on my own at first but due to time its an already made waterfall, i tweaked around the measurements so that it would touch the bottom of the water where i wanted it and also anna said to put world collider on which is a fantastic tool that just makes it look more natural and pretty.



i accidentally made a tsunami! 
hahaha
:D



So yeah particles do help here's a screenshot of everything together, i'm quite happy with the final thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment