Friday 8 February 2013

Working out size measurements.

I find that one of the main things that waste time is having to re-size everything. Like for example, your environment  everything isn't going to be extruded and attached like your character or ship, things need to be separate, so when you realise later on that your characters too small for the scene or too big then you have to re-size your whole environment around this mis-calculation. So this time i've come prepared... I've attempted the best way i know how at the moment to avoid this problem.

Using technical drawings and measurements doesn't seem to be enough for me as i'll freely admit i'm not the best drawer or the best at maths, so i don't know yet how to produce a 'professional' technical/perspective drawing. So with all my drawings as well to back up my understanding i've used a screenshot from our filming day in the holidays, a shot that i am 100% going to use, from this i inserted it as an image plane in maya then imported in my bear and environment.

Straight away i could tell that my bear was too small in comparison to Jeff's head in the shot and the environment was too small for the bears to even fit on. I want the bears to look bigger than Jeff because bears are, but also i want there to be a dominating feel with the camera that you can clearly see the bears are much bigger than her. I've taken in account as well the fact that the stage is going to be a little bit far back, thus the bears will be as well with perspective drawing and all. So at this point i've done the best that i can to resolve this problem before it starts, hopefully this will work to my advantage, we'll see.

Here's some screenshots of my thought process and later i will post if this plan has worked or not, fingers crossed. 


Here's the two screenshots i used


As you can see here below my bear was way too big for the environment, so before i continue with it because it's not finished, i saved time by re-sizing it all now. 


As you can see above and below my bear at first looked tiny in comparison to Jeff, so i made him bigger and i know this is a rough idea but i think that he's big enough now for the shot i want. 


Merging the two shots together gave me an even clearer view. 



I was curios to see if the stage was actually big enough to hold all four plobears and it seems like it is, one thing i may lower is the frame around the stage, it looks a little tall? But then again it may fit in, we will see as i go along. 


No comments:

Post a Comment